Thursday, December 13, 2007

Orion Outside My Door

Last walk of the night. Murphy and I bundle up (13 degrees outside) and head out for his last spritz. I have my eyes on the ground. The melty days of the past 48 hours, followed by 12 hours of hard, cold, below 20 degrees freeze, has led to very hard, very slippery ice patches. When I got to a dry area I looked up and was stopped in my tracks by the blinding brilliance of the diamonds glittering above.

Orion was at the end of my driveway.
I am astounded at the clarity of the night sky, the size of the stars and the brilliance of their glow in the winter sky. It seems the colder it gets the more brilliant the stars become.

I was awe struck. I said "thank you" and again, a star shot across the top of the sky. Like a reply. Like a wave from the other side reminding me we are all in this together.
I smiled. I forgot how cold it was. I didn't even notice I had forgotten to put on my hat until I turned to walk back into the house.

I should drive down to Lake Ontario some time and look at the stars over that huge expanse.

I was feeling cranky about the hard ice until I saw the sky. It is the beauty of the natural world that frequently saves my soul. Pulls me out of my cycles of self blame and depression.
One of the things I wanted when I moved here was more life out of doors. And I am getting that. And it makes me happy.

1 comment:

jemma1265 said...

Gertrude I thought of you this weekend as I was listening to a feature on Sackets Harbor....aka as "the coldest place in America" on NPR.

I love reading the Buddhist quotations on your pages :>